Your employees say a lot about your business. Often the first people your customers encounter, they have the ability to shape the public opinion about your company. Hire the right employees and your customers will be grateful. Choose to ignore the bad employees and your business will suffer.
Here are five ways to find the best employees for your small business:
- Write a classified ad that gets people interested. It can be very easy to take a lax approach when it comes to writing and posting a help wanted ad. That is one of the absolute worst things you can do. Pay careful attention to how you word things, explain the position and wage in detail, and have someone else proof your writing for spelling and grammatical errors. This will help you post a polished ad and attract the right type of people to your business.
- Hire the right managers. A great manager has the ability to transform the workplace into something spectacular. Do your part to find a born leader among your new hires and put them in charge. You can use a number of different criteria to determine who is ready and able to take on such an important role in your business. Emotional Intelligence tests are one way to measure a candidate’s aptitude. Trial periods are also necessary to see if your choice of manager and your employees are a good fit. Great management attracts talented employees.
- Create a job description that is sound. Each and every employee needs to know their role in your company. Make sure that there is a job description for every person that comes to work for you. This will allow your employees to know exactly what is expected from them in regards to the position that they hold. Without a clearly defined job description, chaos will ensue. When employees exceed your expectations, you have an incentive to promote them to a position with even more responsibility.
- Hire someone for a position based on their strengths. What can a candidate bring to the position that you created? What makes them unique and memorable? What are their strengths? How can they make your business better?
- Offer a referral bonus. Give your current employees an incentive to talk about your business to family and friends. Offer a referral bonus to any employee that helps you find a great new hire that stays past his or her 90 day probationary period. It’s a win-win situation for your employees.
The best of the best are out there and they should be working for you. By using the tips listed above, you can find, hire, and retain the type of people that make your business stand out in a crowd. This will add to the efficiency and longevity of your company which will ultimately increase its success.
Hiring great employees shouldn’t be hard. Once you have an idea of which positions need filled in your business, start aggressively looking for talent. You’ll be surprised how effective a well-written classified ad can be in bringing people to you.